Saturday, June 23, 2012

Book Review: Dart by Phil Rustad

Hello again, readers!

Just playing catch-up on my reviews! You all remember my autographed Christmas goodies? Six months later, I'm just now getting around to them...which is more than I can say for the rest of my book collection...

Dart: A Dan Neumann MysteryAnyway, I began reading Dart by Phil Rustad. Here's the Goodreads summary:


Nearing the end of a successful career, Minneapolis homicide detective Dan Neumann was looking forward to retirement and a relaxing summer riding his Harley, woodworking, and writing another textbook on ballistics. But Neumann's leisure plans go up in smoke when law enforcement calls on his expertise to investigate a murder involving a weapon so sophisticated, so lethal, it's never been seen before. Realizing he is up against intelligence and formidable skills equal to his own, Dan pursues the Shooter around the country, determined to crack his last case. Always one step behind the killer, Dan follows an ever-bloodier trail from Alaska to Arizona, murder to murder, enlisting the help of a particularly interesting deputy sheriff along the way. The chase leads to the shores of Lake Superior, whisper-close to the murderer. But is it close enough? And where is the "real justice"?

Rustad is a self-published author who has a strong passion for guns, which is very apparent in this work. I felt as though the talk of guns and ammunition often was more detailed than anything else in the novel. It was a reasonably quick read, but I will admit I had a hard time picking it up after having put it down for a bit. The character development is lacking, but the plot is extremely exciting and fast-paced. For a first, self-published novel, it isn't so bad. I believe I'll be continuing the Dan Neumann mystery series.

Here's where I sit after this novel:
Dart by Phil Rustad
Rating: 3/5
Pages: 295
2012 Reading Goal: 10,604/15,000

Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend, readers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!