Sunday, October 30, 2011

Book Review: Envy by Sandra Brown

Hello again!

Hope you're all having a great weekend! I'm sad it's almost over!

I posted yesterday about how I read a couple of "spooky" books in honor of Halloween. Cujo by Stephen King was one of them. The other? Envy by Sandra Brown. Both novels were acquired at the going-out-of-business sale at my local bookstore in August. Both novels have also proved to be amazing.

Here's the summary of Envy from the back cover:

"When New York publisher Maris Matherly Reed receives a tantalizing manuscript from someone identified only as P.M.E., its blockbuster potential--and perhaps something else--compels her to meet its author. On an eerie, ruined cotton plantation on a remote Georgia island she finds Parker Evans, a man concealing his identity and his past. Maris is drawn into his tale of two young friends and a deadly betrayal...and to Parker himself. But there's something especially chilling about this novel, its possible connection to Maris's own life, and the real-life character who uses her, or anyone, to get what he wants"

There's no denying that Sandra Brown has talent! This novel showcases just how great of a writer she is! I found the characters highly realistic and relate-able. I felt like I was Maris's best friend, and was wooed by her perception of other characters throughout the novel. The twists kept going; I tried to stay on top of predicting what was going on, but there is no way I could have predicted such a spectacular ending. I literally stayed up to read, and took every chance I got to devour this novel. This is probably the most well-written suspense novel about envy and vengeance I've read to date. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to get lost in a twisty, windy, unpredictable suspense novel.

With that said, here are my numbers:

Envy by Sandra Brown
Rating: 5/5
Pages: 549
2011 Reading Goal: 11,430/12,500

The combination of Cujo and Envy has brought me within 1,100 pages of my reading goal. I'm confident, now, that I will meet and/or exceed my 2011 reading goal! I'm offering the opportunity for my readers to determine what my page goal should be for 2012. Please cast your vote on the bottom of the page!

I hope you all are able to meet your reading goals as the chilly weather and hot cocoa season rapidly approach! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!