Sunday, July 3, 2011

June Reading Recap

It's been far too long since I've actually written a full post on here. I've got a little bit of catching up to do. In June, I only read two novels. I've been slacking on the reviews, for sure. Last week, the boyfriend bought me nine books from Barnes and Noble. There was (and possibly still is) a huge online sale where books range from $1.99-4.99 each. I'm expecting them to arrive early this week. In the meantime, I'm trying to prove to Boyfriend that I really do read, and thus earned those books. I still don't think he's amused with my addiction, though...

June's novels were 1984 by George Orwell and The Killing Hands by P.D. Martin. I read 1984 on my trip to Washington in the middle of June. The Killing Hands was read over a 4-day period late this month. Otherwise, I was slacking.

1984 by George Orwell has been on my TBR (To Be Read) list for a good six years at least. I read Animal Farm my sophomore year of high school and enjoyed it. I was surprised with how much I loved Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Therefore, I was convinced I would love 1984. I was not disappointed.
My friend Candice purchased it for me as a Christmas gift (thanks, Candice!) and I just now got around to reading it. I think Orwell's insight is fascinating--the visions he had in 1949 of how the world would change in just 35 years are enough to keep a reader well absorbed. The idea of a "big brother" keeps becoming, in a sense, more and more realistic with every year--but I won't get into that now. What I will tell you is that if you want a fast-paced, intriguing classic novel, pick this book up.
1984 by George Orwell
Rating: 4/5
Pages: 326
2011 Reading Goal: 4,682/12,500

You know how books just randomly end up on your shelf? For about six months after acquisition, you'll know exactly where your books come from--book stores, a friend, thrift shop, etc. I was hunting for a good book on my bookshelf and picked up P.D. Martin's The Killing Hands. For the life of me, I cannot figure out where it came from, nor how long it's been there. It looks gently worn, so I'm assuming I got it used somehow. It's a paperback, so it certainly wasn't from a used bookstore, and unlikely from a thrift shop. I'm thinking it's either from a friend or a garage sale, but I'm not sure. I grabbed the book looking for clues to where it came from, in a sense. I know it wasn't a loaner, because I only have three of them and they're on a separate shelf than others. I was hoping the novel would give me clues as to where I got it, but it didn't. Anyone who knows me (including myself) would have picked this book up for me because it's like an episode of Criminal Minds, which is one of my favorite tv shows.
The book is fast-paced with a likeable main character, Sophie Anderson. She works for the FBI as a profiler in L.A. There's a lot of Asian fighting technique covered in detail throughout the book and names can be challenging to keep straight at first, but I certainly recommend this novel to anyone who also enjoys Criminal Minds. It's the perfect fast-paced weekend read.
The Killing Hands by P.D. MartinRating: 4/5
Pages: 392
2011 Reading Goal: 5,074/12,500

I recognize that I'm pretty far behind my page goal so far. I'm hoping to catch up this month. Boyfriend got a promotion and now has weekends off. It's bittersweet--I get to spend more time with him, but not as much time with my books. I'd like to get out to the lake with him some weekend where he can fish and I can read, but I'm not sure how realistic that is for this month.

I also wanted to follow up on my last blog, Calling for Inspiration. I had been looking for book blog networking. Tonight, I came across just the right site: Book Blogger Directory. I'm even thinking about registering my own blog with them. Anyway, I just wanted to let my readers know in case you guys were looking for inspiration, too.

I hope all my American readers have a lovely Independence Day!

I'll be posting again soon! Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!