Friday, November 19, 2010

Sula

Brrr...it's cold here! And it was cold and snowy in Montana this past week, when I was traveling for work! I love traveling for my job, but am ready to take a break as this harsh winter weather moves in.

Earlier this week (as in Sunday night--I'm such a slacker!) I completed Sula by Toni Morrison. It really is as good as everyone says. The theme of good vs evil prominent in the novel was driven home through very realistic situations, even though the novel itself is fiction.
Rating: 8/10
Pages: 274
2010 Reading goal: 9,623/10,000 pages--ALMOST THERE!

Reflecting on my overall choice of novels in comparison to college-bound reading lists (ha ha remember those?!?! who would have thought that they would really impact you the rest of your life?!?!?), I'm reminded that I need to incorporate books with larger societal impacts. I have the desire to read them, but never seem to pick them up in bookstores. Two that have been at the top of my list since high school: Catch-22 and 1984. I still haven't gotten around to reading either of them, but did recently acquire Catch-22, so that may be coming up in my blog sometime soon. The other ones that were up there that I've read recently were Slaughterhouse Five and Fahrenheit 451 (which is AMAZING, by the way).

Sula brings me 377 pages shy of my reading goal for this year. I'm debating about next year's goal, so please vote in my poll if you've got an opinion about how many pages I should read for 2011.

I hope you all have a great weekend full of warm blankets, hot cocoa, and a good book :)

1 comment:

  1. I could borrow you 1984 (though in German :)
    Drive safe! Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!