Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sarah's Key

Hello, Readers! I hope you're all having a great Sunday, curled up with a good book and coffee! I know I have been!

This morning I just completed reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. If you do not already have this book on your reading list, I highly recommend you put it on there! The novel (which has an amazing, innovative plot) tells two tales that merge into one. The reader is first introduced to Sarah, a ten-year-old girl in Paris, 1942. The French police, by orders of the Gestapo, are rounding up Jews in the area to bring to Auschwitz. Confused and trying to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a hidden compartment in the wall of their bedroom and promises she will return. When she is brought to the Vel' d'Hiv', she discovers that she won't be able to return to save her brother. I won't spoil that story any more for you.

The other main character the reader is introduced to is Julia, an American journalist married to a Parisian. She is reasearching the Vel' d'Hiv' for an article she's assigned to write, only to find that her husband's family is connected to Sarah, the ten-year-old Jewish girl. I won't go into detail on that, either.

What's important is that you know this novel has a wonderful story line and is a very fast-paced read. I had difficulties putting it down! If you're looking for a Christmas gift for anyone with interest in WWII, this may be right up your alley, too! I purchased it from amazon.com for just under $6, so it's available for a good deal!

Rating: 9/10
Pages: 293
2010 Reading Goal: 9,916/10,000

I am now just pages shy of reaching my 2010 reading goal for this year, woo hoo! And I'm finishing up another novel (just under 200 pages) that will get be there pretty soon! If you haven't already, please vote in my poll for what my page goal for 2011 will be. I've noticed on my statistics (yes, I can creep on my audience like that) that I'm getting several new readers. For those of you who are new to my blog, welcome! I should probably clue you in about the page goals, too. Every year, I set a certain number of pages I'll be reading. This year the goal is 10,000 pages. Next year, I will be increasing that amount, but need your help with what the new goal should be. You can vote in the poll at the bottom of my page. It closes sometime in the middle of December, I think.

Anyway, I have to get packed up to travel (again!) in the yucky weather. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!