Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sew & Serge

I know I'm behind on my blogging, sorry readers! I've got 3 books on my need-to-review shelf on Goodreads, which I'm hoping to get to reviewing soon.

Today I submitted my last assignment for my first Grad School course, and it feels good! I really enjoyed the class, my instructor, and the discussion. The time committment wasn't too unmanageable, and it was a great way to prepare myself for what's to come. I will have 9 more classes left before I can apply for graduation, so I'm excited to continue with my studies!

Next week is Spring Break, and my assignment is submitted already. That means that, academically, I'll have the next two weeks off! Not at work, but for my classes. This is a well-needed break, since it's been such a busy semester for me so far!

I'm really looking forward to this "break" with no classes so I can teach myself something else:
How to use a serger.

My parents got me this for my birthday last month. I'm so excited! This is the exact serger my mom has had since the early 1990s, so it's the only serger I've ever really known. I've only used her serger 1-2 times. This will definitely be a learning experience for me!

I'm so excited to have a serger. A lot of what I sew (when I sew, that is) is for work clothes. I like them to be polished, professional looking ensembles.

This pattern, for example. What a cute skirt! I managed to find a lightweight fabric that really matches what's on the pattern cover. I would love to wear this skirt to work. My concern, though, is that it might fray or unravel if I simply sew around the edges. I want to make quality pieces to really build up my wardrobe. Serging will give my homemade clothes that polished look I'm wanting. I'm so excited!

So hopefully you will all stick around to see my upcoming sewing and serging projects as I continue to learn my machine! :)

Happy Sunday, readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!