Friday, March 9, 2012

Book Review: Life From Scratch by Melissa Ford

Hi readers!

I hope you're all doing well! I think I may be coming down with the flu, so I'm taking advantage of lounging around and resting a lot!

I've also gotten a little reading done throughout the week. I began reading Life From Scratch on my Kindle last Friday. It's one of those books I got free in Amazon's Kindle Store. The freebies tend to be hit-or-miss: some are really good and with others, it's no question as to why they're free. This one was the former.

Here's the Goodreads Summary:

Divorced, heartbroken and living in a lonely New York apartment with a tiny kitchen, Rachel Goldman realizes she doesn't even know how to cook the simplest meal for herself. Can learning to fry an egg help her understand where her life went wrong? She dives into the culinary basics. Then she launches a blog to vent her misery about love, life and her goal of an unburnt casserole.To her amazement, the blog's a hit. She becomes a minor celebrity. Next, a sexy Spaniard enters her life. Will her souffles stop falling? Will she finally forget about the husband she still loves? And how can she explain to her readers that she still hasn't learned how to cook up a happy life from scratch?

The premise of this novel is much like any chick-lit novel, so its quality really depends on how the author tells the story. This was pretty good story telling. I often found myself thinking about this book at work and other times throughout the day, which always tells me a book is good. Unsurprisingly, it was a little predictable, especially at the end. The characters are warm and familiar, which I really like. Rachel's best friend is much like any woman's best friend: supportive at all times, but still share opinions on what they believe is best for their friend. 


I recommend this for those of you looking for a cozy, warm chick-lit novel. Bonus if you're a blogger and/or a cook, and relate to the main character on that level.


My stats:
Life from Scratch by Melissa Ford
Rating: 4/5
Pages: 266
2012 Reading Goal: 4,308/15,000


Just a few more things:
  1. I've posted a new poll at the bottom of my website. Check it out! I'm curious to know what you guys like to read about!
  2. My readership has skyrocketed over the past few weeks, especially at the international level. Welcome, new readers!
  3. I finally reposted my book review lists. I've broken them down by year, and am debating how far back to go. You can find them here: 
    1. 2012 Book Reviews
    2. 2011 Book Reviews
Happy readings! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!