Friday, January 10, 2014

Flashback Friday Reviews (2)

TGIF, readers!

This is my second Flashback Friday Reviews post. Let me know if you have changes/additions you would like to see!

Book Review:
Kisscut by Karin Slaughter
Read January 2013
Kisscut
Source

I have become an increasingly huge fan of Karin Slaughter. The first book I read of hers, Indelible, blew my mind so much I had to have more! Kisscut is the second book in Slaughter's Grant County series, and was certainly not a disappointment!

The novel opens with Sara Linton's discovery of a dead baby abandoned in the bathroom of the local skating rink. The suspects include two young teenage girls Sara had seen leaving that restroom before she entered.  Throughout Sara and Jeffrey's investigation of the baby, more child abuse and assault are revealed. The magnitude of what at first seemed like one dead baby grew to a discovery that impacted an entire town and all of Grant County.

This read is not for the faint of heart, as it deals with some pretty heavy societal issues. Slaughter does a fantastic job with character development and revealing issues that often go buried within communities.

I gave this read a 4/5.

Hobby Review:
I am addicted to the site Ravelry.com for my crocheting projects. This site provides a library of projects, posted by other users, for knitting and crocheting. It's fabulous!

For a friend's birthday, I wanted to make her a custom wine bag. I found a free pattern on Ravelry, and a couple of hours later, here is what I had:
Isn't is adorable? This was a really fun and easy project. My friend really liked it!

I'm working on a few more projects right now, too, where I got patterns off Ravelry. I'm excited to see how they turn out! This site is turning into a crochet Pinterest for me though--I'm pinning everything, and not creating nearly enough!

Questions for my readers:
  1. Do you have a favorite website for one of your hobbies? If so, what is the site?
  2. Book series: love 'em, or hate 'em?


1 comment:

  1. The wine cover is like a personal coozie for the bottle...so thoughtful!
    1. Goodreads courtesy of you is my new "hobby" site.
    2. Nope, don't do book series, except Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!