Saturday, September 3, 2011

Book Review: Indelible by Karen Slaughter

Hello my friends! Happy labor day weekend! I've made my to-do list for this weekend ridiculously long, which indicates to me that we need more three-day weekends :)

I'm not actually sure where this book came from, but I found Indelible by Karin Slaughter sitting on my bookshelves. Before reading this novel, I'd never even heard of Karin Slaughter. I guess this book is #4 in a location series, but I didn't feel lost at all when reading it. With location series, I find it's not necessary to read them sequentially. With character series, though, it's practically a must they be read in order.

Anyway, here's the description, courtesy of Goodreads:

An officer is shot point-blank in the Grant County police station and police chief Jeffrey Tolliver is wounded, setting off a terrifying hostage situation with medical examiner Sara Linton at the center. Working outside the station, Lena Adams, newly reinstated to the force, and Frank Wallace, Jeffrey's second in command, must try to piece together who the shooter is and how to rescue their friends before Jeffrey dies. For the sins of the past have caught up with Sara and Jeffrey - with a vengeance.

 I was super impressed with this book. It's told in both the past and present. That is, the chapters alternate between being present, in the hostage situation, and reflecting on Sara Linton and Jeffry Tolliver's past. Slaughter wrote with such detail to where the reader feels they are really there, in both stories, times, and places. I felt like I, too, lived in Grant County. I could not put this book down, it was that enthralling, just as a good mystery should be. I recommend this novel to anyone who loves a good mystery. 


I will definitely continue reading her books. In fact, as it just so happens, I had unknowingly picked up the next novel in the series, Fearless, at the local secondhand bookstore's going-out-of-business sale. It's taking all my strength to not snatch it up and dive right in :)


Here are my stats for the book:
Indelible by Karin Slaughter
Rating: 4/5
Pages: 358
2011 Reading Goal: 8,732/12,500



P.S. I've added a new poll to the bottom of the page, which will be there until September 15th. Cast your vote today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!