Monday, October 25, 2010

Life's Little Blessings

Today began crummy, and, until an hour ago, I didn't think it had gotten much better.

Here were my plans for the day: I was going to wake up refreshed, alive, and radiating. I would visit my first scheduled high school, then grab coffee at a local coffee shop, where I would get a few items crossed of my to-do list (namely the ones that are plaguing me). At eleven, I would visit my second high school. Following, I would grab lunch at an adorable downtown cafe and stay for a while, sipping on black coffee and crossing off several tasks on my to-do list. I would spend the late afternoon shopping at the mall across from my hotel, and relax in my hotel room, lazily reading, until I dozed off.

This most definitely did not happen.

For starters, I really couldn't fall asleep last night. I am currently running on 3.5 hours of sleep, which is a lot less than I would like, considering I was in bed by 9:00 last night. So, I awoke with minimal sleep and a positive outlook for the day. Until I went into my hotel bathroom. I saw a spider. I know, I know, how girly. But seriously...it wouldn't bother me so much had it been in my own home, but this is a hotel. And I'm staying in it a second night too. It just put a slight damper on the day. Not that I wore my Negative Nancy mood on my sleeve, but deep down, under the smile, was a case of the Mondays.

I visited my first high school. Nobody showed up, but I had a really great conversation with the very, very nice counselor. I left earlier than anticipated, and was eagerly awaiting visiting a local coffee shop. I went to two, both of which were closed. That's silly; what coffee shops don't open until 9:00?!?!?!? Before I arrived at the second shop, I thought I heard a little bit of a thumping noise coming from one of my driver's side tires. When I got out, I looked, and everything looked fine. I didn't hear any whistling of air coming out of the tires or see any flatness, so I continued on my merry way.

I was disappointed I wouldn't be able to visit a local coffee shop, and accepted my fate at the glorious Starbucks. As I was on my way, a light came on in my state car, informing me I had low tire pressure. I pulled over at the closest gas station to discover I had NO tire pressure in my front driver's side tire! It was completely flat! I put air in it, and stood back satisfied. Freak accident, no big deal.

Less than one minute later, it was flat again. I couldn't believe it. I felt around and, sure enough, there was a decent-sized hole in the tire, perhaps the size of a nail, which I suspect may have been the case. I called my boss, who told me to notify the state fleet people and get someone to help me out. Upon calling, I discovered I would have to change the tire myself, and they would give me the address of a shop I needed to bring it to in order to get a new tire put on. I was disappointed, but began removing items from my trunk and hoping I could remember how to change a tire. AAA was a minute's phone call away, when my cell rang. The guy on the other end offered to drive over to help me change the tire. HOW NICE!!! Not only did Jon help me change the tire, but he brought me to the tire store, and offered me another state fleet car to use in the meantime. Thanks to him, I was able to visit my second high school (and arrive on time), and fix my attitude.

I realized that I was looking at the day as an annoying Monday, and forgot to count my blessings. Here they are:
1) Jon proved to me that there are always nice people in this world, willing to go out of their way to help a stranger. In North Dakota, there happens to be an abundance of them.
2) My boss, and my school, are so supportive of me, and I'm so lucky to work at a place I love.
3) Unlike most days, I only had two schools to visit today. I didn't have to rush from one place to the next or have anxiety at the idea of not making it. It is what it is.
4) I am in a city, near civilization, not on a tire trail, in the middle of a field, smack dab in the middle of the Fort Peck Indian Reservation (long story).
4) I have met some truly amazing individuals in my travels, both in my position and through my position.
5) In spite of it being the end of October and in spite of snow having been forecast for this week, today, it has only rained.
6) It may be a really bad hair day for me, but my outfit is really cute.
7) I still found a delicious local coffee shop, Mocha Mommas, and am enjoying a Caramel Apple Crisp Latte. I recommend the coffee shop, should you ever find yourself in Bismarck.

Thanks for listening to me rant. I hope this blog inspires you all to look at the blessings life has given you, turning your case of the Mondays into a case of the Fridays.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your Monday sounds pretty entertaining. Mine started with me waking up and getting to sit, enjoy a few cups of coffee and sitting by the fire. Instead I wake up, get my coffee, take one sip and my phone rings. Dad needed me to help with something for an hour or so in the freezing rain! so much for my relaxing morning.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!