Monday, February 24, 2014

Knitting

Hello Readers!

Happy Monday to you all! I hope it's been a good one!

Last weekend, I went to my hometown to celebrate President's Day weekend with my parents. I had a really great time with them, and even picked up a new hobby--knitting!

My mom has been knitting for a couple of years now, and I've been telling her I wanted to learn since she started; however, with grad school, I was at my limit for learning new things. My brain was turning to mush! My mom showed me how to knit within one night. Here is what I have done in the week since:

I have made 2 dishcloths! They will become more square after going through the wash. You can definitely tell which one was my first--it's more of a diamond shape than anything! This took me much longer than anticipated. As a crocheter, I could have had these two dishcloths done in a matter of 30 minutes. With knitting, it took me about 8 hours for the two! I know I am still learning, but this is much more intricate work than what I am used to.

I am looking forward to future knitting projects! I have scoured Ravelry already for some ideas, and even put in a small yarn and needle order at Joann's to really get started. I'm excited to add one more hobby to the list; my husband? not so much...

In the meantime, I am in a reading rut. I have made the mistake of starting to read books that I'm not actually super interested in. Obviously I couldn't have predicted this, but it's caused me to just feel so....bleh towards reading. I am going to Washington DC soon and am planning to bring with me a book I know I'll enjoy--hopefully that will put me back on track!

Hope all is well, readers!

Questions for my readers:
  1. Do you knit? If so, what do you recommend as a good beginner project?
  2. How do you get out of a reading rut?



1 comment:

  1. I started knitting last year, too. I always had home knitted socks handmade by my grandmother. Since she passed away I am lacking those. So I started with socks, which is very anticipating. I can really recommend Youtube videos. You learn very quickly and all the fun tricks which makes it much more easier. I actually also wanted to knit a hat but since we did not have any really cold weather this year I postponed this project to next year. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!