Saturday, September 10, 2011

Book Review: Bed Rest by Sarah Bilston

 Hi everyone! I hope this finds you on 9-10-11 enjoying a lovely, relaxing weekend!

This is my uber busy time of the year. As you probably recall, I'm a recruiter for a local college. As such, I travel from mid September-mid December, Monday-Thursday. It's really great and I love my job, but it can be a little stressful preparing to live out of a suitcase for three months. Anyway, I'm taking the morning off from stressing and finished a book I started months ago. My brother and sister-in-law got me a large (and beautiful!) stack of 14 books for Christmas last year. I'm still working my way through them. In the pile was Bed Rest by Sarah Bilston. It looked really intriguing, so it was the first of that large stack I picked up. In February. And just now finished.

Here's the Goodreads Summary:


Quinn "Q" Boothroyd is a young British lawyer married to an American and living in New York City. She's checked off most of the boxes on her "Modern Woman's List of Things to Do Before Hitting 30," and her busy working life has been relatively painless. But when her doctor tells her she must spend the last three months of her pregnancy lying in bed, Q is thrown into a tailspin. Initially bored and frustrated, Q soon fills her days by trying to reconnect with her workaholic husband, provide legal advice for her sweet Greek neighbor, forge new emotional bonds with her mother and sisters, and figure out who will keep her stocked up in cookies and sandwiches.

Q experiences adventures on the couch she never would have encountered in the law firm and learns a lot about herself and what she wants out of life—and above all, about the little one growing inside her.



And my review:

Bed RestBed Rest was a surprisingly disappointing novel. The characters created are highly realistic and even likeable, but the plot was definitely lacking. It's short (my edition is only 215 pages) but torturous for the reader. The main character, Q, is put on bedrest during her last three months of pregnancy. All she has to journal about is what takes place in her home--guests, relationships, etc. But ultimately, there is not enough of a storyline to warrant this long of a book.

It's unlikely I'll pick up any more of Sarah Bilston's works, or recommend them to a friend.

My stats:

Bed Rest by Sarah Bilston
Rating: 2/5
Pages: 215
2011 Reading Goal: 8,947/12,500

I can't promise I'll be posting much these next couple of weeks, with traveling, studying for my GMAT, and applying for Grad school, but I hope to connect with you all soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!