Sunday, January 29, 2012

Book Review: One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

Hi everyone!

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend! Yesterday was definitely a lazy day for me, but today I've got my butt in gear and my to-do list ready. Part of the reason I was so lazy yesterday was that I was wrapped up in a wonderful book!

I'm sure you've all seen trailers for Janet Evanovich's One for the Money? If not, here it is:

For years now, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series has been on my to-read list. I've gotten so far behind, as Evanovich comes out with a new Plum novel every year and started the series when I was only 6 years old. Anyway, when I saw this trailer, I knew I had to get my butt in gear and finally start the series. I love Katherine Heigl and have had this series recommended to me so many times before. And, of course, I cannot watch a movie before reading the book if I'm at all remotely interested in reading the novel. So, I ordered a previously-loved copy through Paperback Swap and nestled in to read it.

Although the movie trailer follows the book's storyline relatively closely, here's a summary of the novel, courtesy of Goodreads:

Welcome to Trenton, New Jersey, home to wiseguys, average Joes, and Stephanie Plum, who sports a big attitude and even bigger money problems (since losing her job as a lingerie buyer for a department store). Stephanie needs cash--fast--but times are tough, and soon she's forced to turn to the last resort of the truly desperate: family.

Stephanie lands a gig at her sleazy cousin Vinnie's bail bonding company. She's got no experience. But that doesn't matter. Neither does the fact that the bail jumper in question is local vice cop Joe Morelli. From the time he first looked up her dress to the time he first got into her pants to the time Steph hit him with her father's Buick, M-o-r-e-l-l-i has spelled t-r-o-u-b-l-e. And now the hot guy is in hot water--wanted for murder.

Abject poverty is a great motivator for learning new skills, but being trained in the school of hard knocks by people like psycho prizefighter Benito Ramirez isn't. Still, if Stephanie can nab Morelli in a week, she'll make a cool ten grand. All she has to do is become an expert bounty hunter overnight--and keep herself from getting killed before she gets her man.


I devoured this novel in just three days, that's how great it was. It's a masterful cross between chick-lit and an action-thriller novel. Stephanie Plum is an overly-confident, clumsy, hilarious main character. She's struggling financially and desperate for any job that will allow her to keep her apartment and some food in her stomach. There are some more graphic scenes in the novel, but nothing so terribly grotesque to deter a reader from continuing. It was a little predictable, but in the fun, chick-lit way where you will continue reading for the adventure of it, not necessarily to find out the end. I highly recommend this for any readers who want a fun, relate-able character with an adventurous spirit. I will definitely be continuing to read this series. In fact, I've already got my order in on Paperback Swap for the second in the series, Two for the Dough.


Here are my stats for this book:
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
Rating: 4/5
Pages: 316
2012 Reading Goal: 2,716/15,000

You may have noticed (or not) that this is my 8th book so far in January. In fact, I'm already 1/5 of the way through with my reading goal for the year! I'm pretty excited about that, but worried I'll be falling behind any day now.

In other news, my first Grad School course is going really well. I've definitely missed devouring all information available on business and communication :) This week, I'm hoping to complete a paper for my class and file my taxes, all before I leave for Bismarck on Sunday. We won't even get into my organizational/cleaning goals. Fingers crossed I can keep my balance!


Have a great week and happy readings, everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Leave your comment below!